Android in numbers - thankfully the Google I/O conference helped out by publishing statistics which give some insight to the growth in adoption of smartphones and also help to provide a hint of reality. But these are BIG BIG BIG numbers.
Android Smartphones, Tablets & Devices
- Over 100M Android devices activated worldwide with 400K activations added every day
- More than 310 Android devices from 36 different manufactures
- Android cellphones are on more than 216 mobile carriers in 112 countries
- 200,000 free and paid applications available in Android Market
- 4.5 billion applications installed from Android Market
So that’s that - 100 million Android devices activated - Of course numbers are meaningless - we need to find some context to them
Android Numbers compared to 2010
“The growth of the Android ecosystem continues to exceed our expectations,” said Andy Rubin, VP, Engineering at the Google I/O conference in 2010.
“Every day, 100,000 new people start using Android-based handsets. There are now more than 180,000 active Android developers who have contributed over 50,000 apps to the Android Market.”
So the Android Apps ecosystem has grown around 300% in the past year - I guess there is room to grow here.
Daily activations are now up to 400k per day - I’m dubious of this figure - without knowing what is a new activation, we’re left to assume its new phones - which could be used by a replacement for an existing Android smartphone owner - or a brand new device for an Android newbie.Tags:
Read more from my blog for an introduction and quick tips on developing in Hugo or UCTD.