The second release candidate for the next version of WordPress 3.4 is here and the project team is hoping to go live next week.
WordPress 3.4 what you can expect
WordPress 3.4 has had a couple of beta releases and 1 RC - so this is getting close to the finished product.
WordPress 3.4 has some cool features - including Theme customisation which kind of like a WordPress Getting Started Wizard.
Should I update to this release candidate?
As this is a release candidate you shouldn’t use this on any live site - but it does mean it’s pretty stable and useful.
To install the release candidate you need the WordPress beta updates plugin and then just go to your updates sections.
Before you update any live site - backup
This is very easy to do from any logged-in wp-admin page - but you should always follow a simple process like this:
- Make sure you have a current WordPress database
- Enable your Maintenance mode page.
- Disable any / all plugins
- Run Backup
- Run update
- Update any plugins that also got updated
- Enable all plugins that you need
- Check for any bugs or other issues
- Disable your Maintenance Mode.
Read more from my blog for an introduction and quick tips on developing in Hugo or UCTD.